Protonvpn has grown significantly since its inception. So far it has 1061 servers across 54 countries including those in North America, Australia, Europe, India, South Africa to mention a few. What’s more, it manages and owns all its servers enhancing the user’s privacy.
Its speed is pretty reasonable compared to other VPN providers. During our tests, download speeds clocked at 120 Mbps, slightly lower than ExpressVPN OpenVPN. When tested on US servers, the speed improved to 160-200 Mbps. Long-distance connections, however, had significantly low speeds ranging from 25-35 Mbps.
Its no logs policy means your internet activity isn’t tracked or recorded. What’s more, its Plus tier allows access to multihop Secure Core servers. Once you connect your device to the server, the VPN connection makes two hops:
- From the device to the Secure Core Server
- Toward the VPN server selected
This feature prevents attackers who have taken control of the server from accessing any information on your device. Also, if the next VPN server is compromised, the attacker won’t access anything because the traffic appears to come from the Secure Core server.
Ease of use
The software is extremely user-friendly. After downloading and installing it, a brief overview of its features is displayed in a sleek and attractive interface. You can connect to the servers manually or use the connect button.
ProtonVPN may come off a tad expensive for users looking for a comprehensive VPN. Its pricing plans are tiered with the first tier offering a free plan for three VPN server locations and support for one device.
The second-tier costs $5 and allows access to all VPN locations but limits connection to two devices. The third-tier costs $10. It provides access to all VPN servers and you can configure up to five devices. If you still want more, you can upgrade to a $30 per month Visionary plan.
- Device compatibility: The VPN is compatible with a range of operating systems including Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS. In addition, the software can be configured on mobile devices using iOS and Android.
- Customer support: Surprisingly ProtonVPN doesn’t have a live chat platform. Instead, it uses email and the customer agents take a minimum of two days to respond
- Streaming sites unblocked: Its unblocking capabilities are somewhat limited as it allows access to Netflix, YouTube TV (US), Disney+ and BBC iPlayer only.
ProtonVPN is certainly feature-packed. It boasts robust security for its customers, is user-friendly but presents a lot of flaws. First, its slow speed comes off unimpressive to many users.
Then there’s the issue of not setting up a live chat support. The modern-day user is tech-savvy and wants instant responses. ProtonVPN should consider setting up a more responsive customer care platform.